Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Marriage in Kyrgyz Republic

General Information


The following is for the information of an American citizen who has officially registered his/her marriage in the Kyrgyz Republic with a national of the Kyrgyz Republic, or plans to do so. 


American diplomatic and consular officers are not permitted to perform marriages.  International marriages in the Kyrgyz Republic are performed by “ZAGS”(tel.: 287996, 287808), marriage registration office (corner of Jumabeka (former Ivanitsina) and Abdrakhmanova (former Sovetskyaya) Streets, Bishkek).  Marriages which are legally performed and valid in the Kyrgyz Republic are also legally valid in the United States.

In order to perform a marriage between an American citizen and a national of the Kyrgyz Republic, ZAGS requires their

-       valid passports,

-       birth certificates,

-       divorce decrees/death certificates if applicable, and

-       an affidavit from the U.S. Embassy stating that an American citizen is free to marry. 

This affidavit can be acquired at the Consular Section; the fee for the American consular officer’s certification of the affidavit is $50.  The affidavit obtained from the U.S. Embassy must be authenticated at the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kyrgyz Republic at 10 Togolok Moldo Street, Bishkek. “The authentication service fee is 300 soms and is available from 11:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. from Monday through Friday, except Wednesday (ask for Chief or employee of Legal Section).  The fee is to be paid at “Aiyl Bank” affiliate at 50 Pushkin Str., Bishkek. Waiting period – 1 week.  MFA offers expedited processing of documents in 3 days for 600 som.”


After the valid marriage has been concluded by ZAGS and the Marriage Certificate has been issued, U.S. Citizens can file a petition, I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, with a USCIS office in the United States.  For application forms and more details please visit USCIS webpage

For U.S. Postal Service:

P.O. Box 804625
Chicago, IL 60680-4107

For Express mail and courier deliveries:

Attn: I-130
131 South Dearborn – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517


The U.S. citizen’s relatives need to get a U.S. immigrant visa to be able to enter the U.S.  Immigrant visa applications for nationals of the Kyrgyz Republic are processed by the Consulate General in Almaty, Kazakhstan.  Approved I-130 Petitions for alien relatives of U.S. citizens are mailed to the Consulate General in Almaty for an immigrant visa interview.  It is not necessary that the American citizens be present at the immigrant visa interview of their spouse. However, if they prefer to be present, they are welcome.  Below is the contact information for the Consulate General in Almaty:

Tel.:                        007-7272-504802

Address:             97 Zholdashbekov St.,

Samal Towers, 17th Floor



The immigrant visa gives the applicant six months to enter the U.S. for permanent residence.  The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) once in the U.S.  will give further instructions regarding applying for a Green Card, then citizenship. 


The Consulate General in Almaty, Kazakhstan will send applicants information upon the approved petition being received in the Consular section and the interview scheduled. The required documents for the interview are:

  1. DS-230 Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration
  2. Passports for each applicant
  3. Applicant's original birth certificate, a copy and a certified translation to English
  4. Original birth certificate of the U.S. petitioner, and a certified translation to English, if the applicants are parents or siblings of the U.S. petitioner
  5. Original marriage certificate (if applicable), a copy and a certified translation to English.

Note: If the visa applicant is a step-child of a U.S. citizen, an original marriage certificate of the non-U.S. citizen with the U.S. citizen step-parent must be submitted along with a copy and a certified translation to English.

  1. Original divorce certificates for all prior marriages (if applicable), a copy and a certified translation to English
  2. Note for Immediate Relative based visas: This is for both the petitioner and beneficiary. A certified copy may be accepted in lieu of an original divorce certificate for the U.S. citizen, but a copy is unacceptable. If the visa applicant is a child and either the petitioner or the child's parent were previously married, an original divorce decree/death certificate of each parent must be submitted with a copy and translation.
  3. Police Certificates from every place the applicant has lived for longer than six months after the age of 16 and a certified translation to English. Police certificates should include the applicant’s current name as well as all prior names, such as maiden names.
  4. Court and Prison Records (if applicable) and a certified translation to English

10.  Military Records (if applicable), a copy and a certified translation to English

11.  Medical Records and Immunization/Shot records (the medical form is provided in a sealed envelope by SOS Clinic, the Embassy-approved panel physician); please take your immunization record to your medical appointment

12.  One full face color photo 5x5 cm for each applicant on a white background

13.  Evidence of qualification for the visa (for employment based visas only)

14.  Evidence of financial support (for immediate relative and family based visas only) - for each applicant (Form I-864 PDF, 339KB) with supporting documentation from the petitioner: a certified copy of the most recent income tax return (Form 1040 and Form W-2) or an IRS-generated transcript

15.  Immigrant visa processing fee (currently $404) is paid in U.S. CASH ONLY on the day of the interview, unless the $404 fee was already paid to the National Visa Center (NVC)

16.  Originals of all documents will be returned during the interview.


Applicants should present to the interviewing consular officer both an original and a photocopy of each document mentioned above.  All documents must be accompanied by English translation.  The translation and copies of documents do not necessarily have to be certified by the U.S. Embassy.


  • I-130 Petition Application - $420
  • Immigrant Visa Application- $404
  • Medical Examination - $270
                                     TOTAL - $1094



Since November 2001 Legal Immigration and Family Act (LIFE Act) Act created new categories of nonimmigrant visas, which benefit certain spouses and children of U.S. citizens (K-3, K-4).  Under this act, holders of a K-3 or K-4 visa may enter the United States as nonimmigrants to rejoin family members, pending approval of an immigrant visa.  The applicant may later apply for adjustment of the status in the United States, or for an immigrant visa at the appropriate consular office abroad.

The applicant must be the spouse or child of a U.S. Citizen;  the U.S. citizen spouse must file an I-130 petition with the BCIS (in the U.S.);  the applicant must not yet have been scheduled for an immigrant visa interview at a consular post abroad or with BCIS for adjustment;  the U.S. citizen spouse must file an I-129F petition with the Missouri Service Center (MSC).

PLEASE NOTE:  If an applicant has already been scheduled for an immigrant visa or adjustment interview, either with a consular office or BCIS, the applicant may not apply for a K-3 visa.  He or she must continue processing the immigrant visa.

For further information on filing an I-129F for K-3 (or K-4) status, please contact the

Missouri Service Center (MSC)


P.O. Box 7216

Chicago, IL 60680-7216

Customer Service Telephone: (800) 375-5283

Information is also available through the USCIS website at: HTTP://WWW.USCIS.GOV

If your marriage took place in the Kyrgyz Republic, the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bishkek is authorized to process your K-3 application.  We will commence processing and contact you regarding the steps to take for final issuance when the approved I-129F is received from NVC.

For more questions, please contact the Consular Section at 55 12 41, 55 12 42.

Consular Section, U.S.  Embassy

171 prospect Mira

Bishkek, 720016